Welcome! Log in or Sign Up!

Forums » Cover Crops » Need a good cover crop recommendation for home garden

Need a good cover crop recommendation for home garden

Subscribe to Need a good cover crop recommendation for home garden 1 Post, 1 voice

Icon_missing_medium crowek 8 Posts

Hello,

I have a small 4x6 ft raised bed that I built a few years ago in my fenced in and otherwise paved or graveled over backyard (urban rowhome). I've thus far grown regular garden vegetables using the square foot gardening method, but young kids and increasing job responsibilities mean tending it is too far down my list of priorities. I also don't want to rip it up because I like the idea of it, it's literally a ton of dirt I hauled back there and would have to do something with, I'd have to gravel or pave over the space, and I'd like to turn back to it if I could later. (I think the sunk cost fallacy is at work here too, tbh.) But I need to do something so it doesn't weed over. 

I'm considering planting a "cover crop" of some sort next year (or over winter if that's when it should be planted). The goal would be to put it in a holding pattern, prevent it from being an eyesore full of weeds, and be something I could easily remove without tons of volunteers emerging if I want to reclaim it as a vegetable garden. Bonus points if it smells nice or is functional (large herb bed??).Any suggestions?

Please help

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.

References: 

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=230887

3D Product Video Animation Service

Thanks

Forums » Cover Crops » Need a good cover crop recommendation for home garden